In order to promote excellent world-class research activities and strengthen the university’s further research apabilities, we actively support research activities not only in the basic research fields but also in the pioneering research fields of the next generation.

Specifically, it is a pre-award work such as acquiring external funds from ministries and agencies, public institutions, etc., providing information on nterdisciplinary integrated research within the university and supporting entry, and we also do post-award work to support proper management after project adoption. For details of these, please refer to the following.


Also, to the researchers belonging to WRHI, 

If your host researcher has agreed that you may individually apply for grants such as KAKENHI* through the e-Rad** system, the WRHI URA *** team will co-ordinate with your department’s URA unit to help you apply for research grants and funding.

Our support includes the following:

❶ Help you register for a researcher number using the e-Rad system

❷ Assist you in setting up your e-Rad system† profile in person

❸ Provide you with information about research grant and funding opportunities

❹ Help you to prepare grant applications and understand application requirements

❺ Work with you to prepare research reports, if required by the funding agency

* KAKENHI: Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, Japan’s largest research fund

** e-Rad system: the main electronic application system for funding in Japan

*** URA: University research administrator


Please contact URA at Institute of Innovative Research when you start a new project. 

Place to contact:


  • All visitors who will receive a salary or remuneration (this excludes travel expenses) must obtain what is called a “Professor Visa” even if you will not fulfill professorship duties. Please visit our Visa and Certificate of Eligibility page for more details. For all foreigners staying in Japan over 90 days, regardless of whether you are staying in a hotel or temporary housing, you must register your address at your city office. We can advise you about this after your arrival.

  • Outline Dependent Internal Employment Process Steps of Certificate of Eligibility and Visa Application

    Here is an outline of what needs to be done before IIR is able to officially begin your employment.

    In order to work and receive a salary in Japan, you must obtain an appropriate status of residence that gives you the right to live and work in this country. In this case, the appropriate status of residence falls under the visa category of “Professor.” This status of residence will be awarded when you enter Japan with your new visa.
    The Tokyo Tech regulations state that you must obtain this status of residence at least one day before your official employment date. This means that you must enter Japan one day or more prior to your appointment date.
    Steps of Certificate of Eligibility and Visa Application

    >Steps including registration in Japan
    Please refer to the procedure chart
    below for Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and visa application from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.

    Following are the steps for obtaining a Professor visa that will give you the status of residence necessary to begin your appointment at WRHI:

    Step 1
    WRHI must submit an application for COE to the Immigration Bureau. In order for us to process this application, you must send us the items and information listed below. We will need these documents from you at least three months before the day you plan to enter Japan.

    a.A copy of the photo page of your passport:

    Many countries require a minimum of 6 months validity left on your passport. When applying for a Professor Visa, please make sure that there is a safe window of well over 6 months to avoid possible denial of entry.

    b.Digital picture, meeting the following requirements:

    ◇Pictured alone, facing the front, no hats, caps or head coverings
    ◇Plain background, no shadows
    ◇Taken within the past three months


    Please tell us the information below or look at the questions below and give us the answers we need for your COE application.

    ◇Current occupation
    ◇Hometown: City, State, Country
    ◇Intended place to apply for visa: City, State, Country
    ◇How many times have you come to Japan? Please tell us an approximate number.
    ◇Your latest visit to Japan: From YYYY/MM/DD to YYYY/MM/DD
    ◇Do you have any family members in Japan?
    ◇The graduation date (YYYY/MM/DD) of your doctoral degree
    ◇Mailing address at which you want to receive your COE

    Step 2
    When the Immigration Bureau issues this COE, which can take between four to six weeks, they will send it to WRHI. We will then send it to you by express mail.

    Step 3
    You take this COE to your nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate to apply for your Professor visa. It is better to confirm the procedure, required documents, expected examination period, etc. directly with your embassy or consulate. Please go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan to find Professor visa application information and visa application documents.

    Step 4
    You send us a copy of your visa as soon as it is issued.

    Step 5
    Please keep in mind that the COE is valid for three months after its issue date. You must obtain your visa and enter Japan during this 3-month validity period. Both your COE and visa will automatically expire if you will not arrive in Japan by the expiration date of your COE. When you enter Japan on your Professor visa, the immigration officer will authorize your status of residence as Professor and you will receive your resident card at a Japanese airport.

    Step 6
    All foreign nationals staying in Japan for 90 days or more, regardless of whether you are staying in a hotel or temporary housing, are required to register information such as name, nationality, address, and others at your local city office within 14 days of entering Japan. You must carry your resident card at all times.
    Please give yourself plenty of time to apply for your COE and your visa as there may be delays at each of the steps involved.


  • WRHI will basically transfer your travel-related expenses pay in JPY cash upon your arrival at the Laboratory of Titech. Alternatively, we could into your bank account after the trip upon receiving necessary documents from you. In both cases, your itinerary, receipt and e-ticket copy have to be submitted to us at least 3 weeks before your departure date. On your first day at IIR, please stop by the WRHI office as we need to have your boarding passes as proof of your arrival. After the trip, your return flight boarding passes have to be sent to us as an email attachment.

  • We will need the following bank-related information below from you to process the wire transfer of your airfare and per diem reimbursement. After receiving all of your documents and information, it will take approximately three weeks to process.

    Name of the currency in which you would like to receive reimbursement
    Payee’s Account No.
    Payee’s name as registered on the account
    Payee’s address (Street, State)
    Payee’s address (Country)
    Payee’s Bank name
    Payee’s Bank branch
    Bank branch address (Street, State)
    Bank branch address (Country)
    SWIFT code
    If you have any questions regarding reimbursement of travel-related expenses, please contact our office.

  • WRHI can book and pay for your ticket. WRHI will contact our appointed travel agent and purchase your ticket. We need to have your flight schedule, if applicable seat preference, window or aisle , special meal request, if any a scanned image of your passport.

Currency Exchange

  • The recommended way of getting Japanese yen is at Narita or Haneda Airport. You can do it in two ways: either at an ATM with the PLUS or CIRRUS signs or through the bank window and change your home currency into yen. The reason why we suggest getting yen cash at the airport is because regular Japanese bank ATMs do not accept foreign bank cards. The only ATMs that accept foreign bank cards in 2014 are (1) Japan Post Bank, (2) inside Seven-Eleven convenience stores, and (3) Citibank Japan. All ATM machines will have an option for English instruction.

  • Japan Post ATMs have a green sign that reads “JP Bank”. They accept the following cards for withdrawal transactions: PLUS, CIRRUS, VISA, VISA Electron, MasterCard, Maestro, American Express, Diners Club, JCB, China UnionPay, and Discover. Check the below link for more information.

  • Seven-Eleven ATMs are located inside many Seven-Eleven convenience stores and are in service 24 hours. They accept the following cards for withdrawal: PLUS, CIRRUS, VISA, VISA Electron, MasterCard, Maestro, American Express, Diners Club, JCB, China UnionPay, and Discover. Check the below link to find an ATM in your area.

  • Citibank Japan offers another possibility for 24 hour cash withdrawal though their ATM locations are limited. Please check the link below for ATM locations nearest to you. Your bank may have limits on how much money you can withdraw. If your first attempt does not work, please try requesting a small amount to see if the ATM will accept the transaction. Also important to keep in mind is that Japan remains a cash-based society. Many of the smaller restaurants and shops will not accept credit cards or traveler’s checks. There is no system of using personal checks. Debit cards are not accepted at Japanese stores most of the time.

  • The best cash exchange rates are available at an airport, where an exchange incurs ~1% loss in value, which is far better than rates in other airports. This rate is regulated by the government, it is unlikely that you will find better rates elsewhere. Furthermore, selling your Yen only requires a few minutes time just before your departure from Japan, and therefore involves very little inconvenience. Narita Airport A list of currency exchanges The current day’s exchange rate Haneda Airport A list of currency exchange

Salary and Benefit Information

  • If your employment starting date is on the 1st of the month, you will be paid your salary on the 21st
    of the same month. Please note that if the 21st falls on a weekend or a national holiday, payment will shift by a few days forward.

    If your employment starts after the 1st, your salary will be paid the following month on the 21st. This means that you will receive two months’ salary that month.

    Income Tax & Tax Treaty (Tax Convention)
    If non-residents (invited researchers from overseas) earn any income (such as a salary, travel expense and an honorarium) in Japan, it is subject to income tax. The tax withholding rate for non-residents is 20.42%.
    If your home country and Japan have a tax treaty, however, you can apply for deduction from income tax in Japan.

    An income tax convention is a treaty concluded between two countries, where one is the withholding tax country (in this case, Japan) and the other is your country of ordinary residence, to prevent the double taxation of income. Please see a map for Japan’s Tax Treaty Network . Click here

    However, if the tax rate in your own country is higher than in Japan, you might prefer not to apply for the tax convention. Residents of the United Kingdom, the United States, France, Australia, Netherlands and Switzerland need a certificate of residence issued in their own country to apply for the tax convention. It usually takes about two to three months for this document to be issued, so we urge you to request it well before you leave for Japan.

Living in Japan

  • You have to open a Japanese bank account as soon as you arrive in Japan in order to receive your salary on time. WRHI recommends that our researchers open a bank account at one of the three banks below. Mizuho Bank and Japan Post Bank have a branch and ATMs really close to our campus and they are convenient in most big cities.

    • Mizuho Bank
    • Japan Post Bank
    • Citibank Japan

    Citibank Japan and Citibank in other regions such as North America share a name, but are different entities. Thus, a Citibank NA account cannot be accessed from Citibank Japan.

    Citibank Japan and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC) announced that they have reached an agreement to sell Citibank Japan’s retail banking business to SMBC Trust Bank from October, 2015. Please refer to the Citibank Japan’s FAQ page and directly contact Citibank Japan for details.

    Citibank Japan has a full-service branch in Gotanda which always has at least one English speaking teller, but there are not many Citibank ATMs (although you can use Seven-Eleven ATMs for deposits and withdrawals at no charge during normal business hours). Citibank has online banking in English, so once your wire transfer location is accepted into their system, it can be easy to transfer money to accounts outside of Japan although with transfer and exchange rate fees. Please directly contact Citibank Japan and ask for details.

  • Japanese banks

    Each Japanese bank provides its own overseas remittance service for their customers while customers pay quite a lot in transfer fees. At the Mizuho Bank and Japan Post Bank, it is necessary for you to go to their branch, fill out certain forms in Japanese, and interact with bank staff in Japanese.
    Shinsei Bank “GoRemit”
    Remitters simply use any bank ATM or internet banking in Japan to transfer funds domestically to a GoRemit
    account designated by Shinsei Bank. GoRemit then completes the overseas remittance to pre-registered international banks.

    You can apply for and use the overseas remittance service even if you do not have a regular bank account at Shinsei Bank. Transfer fee at GoRemit is 2,000 yen.

    Transfer fee

    If you make a wire transfer, it is highly likely that you will pay a wire transfer fee to the bank accepting a wire transfer and in some instances another bank which connects the Japanese and foreign bank. Japanese banks told us that the amount of the additional charge will depend on foreign banks.
    Credit Card

    Japanese banks
    Credit card companies conduct a screening process at the time of application and their methods of screening are not disclosed. Japanese banks seem to have stricter screening compared to other places where you could make your credit card.

    University Co-op
    Researchers whose applications for a credit card were rejected by a Japanese bank have applied for a card from the University Co-op successfully. If you become a member of the Co-op, you will receive a discount on most books and magazines at our university bookstore. You can also place orders for items at the store or even online. Your membership charge will be refunded to you when you leave Tokyo Tech.

  • Hotel

    There are numerous hotel options in Tokyo/Yokohama, and depending on various factors such as what part of the city you would like to stay, what your budget is, and how familiar you are with the city, the accommodation recommendation would be different. We have therefore compiled a limited hotel list which focuses on 1) relatively convenient access from airport -> hotel -> IIR, and 2) reasonable in cost while providing quality for value. If you experience difficulty booking a room, please contact us and we will assist you. Please also note that hotel room rates in Japan are often based on per person, not by room. (For example, a twin room booked by a single person will be cheaper than when the same room is reserved for two.) We also advise you to specify whether you would like a smoking or non-smoking room, especially if you are sensitive to the residual smell of cigarettes. HOTEL & RESTAURANT AOBADAI FORUM


    Tokyo Tech International House

    Tokyo Tech has an International House for foreign faculty, researchers, and employees. Individuals wishing to stay at the International House, “residents”, are to submit the required documents and application forms only through the host researchers/institutes, “applicants.” Direct application or calls to the International House by prospective residents are not accepted. We will reserve your room. Please contact us as soon as you have some idea of when you would fly to Japan and be able to check-in to the International House. Because the couple rooms and family rooms in particular are often occupied, we need to contact the International Office in advance and see how we can make your reservation. You can send your packages directly to the International House. Your room number is not necessary. International House staff will be able to keep them in their office until you arrive there. International House Administration Office International House Main Building 2nd floor 1-1-18 Ishikawa-cho, Ota-ku, Tokyo 145-0061 JAPAN You will be able to check into your room from 9:00 am – 4:30 pm on Monday-Friday. The front desk is not open during weekends and national holidays. You will need to stay in a hotel if you will not make the open hours of the front desk to check in.

Emergency Care

  • Please note that the emergency telephone numbers in Japan are as follows:

    For police: 110

    For fire or ambulance: 119

    Please program the following emergency number in your mobile in case of an emergency on Tokyo Tech’s Ookayama campus: (03) 5734-3119. It will connect you to the main gatehouse. Suzukakedai campus(045)924-5119

    1. Hide under a desk to protect yourself from falling objects if the shaking is severe. If conditions allow, make sure that any sources of fire are put out or turned off. Open the door and plan for quick evacuation.
    2. When shaking subsides, quickly evacuate. If conditions allow, make sure again that the gas is turned off and any sources of fire are put out. Make a quick count of the number of people evacuating. Do not use lifts.
    3. When evacuating, please check for fires, for whether there are injured people that need assistance, and to take out any emergency bags/kits with you.

    University Information

    Tokyo Institute of Technology conducts an annual “disaster drill” in mid-November. All teachers, students and staff of the university must participate in this drill to prepare for quick and appropriate response in the event of an emergency or disaster.