2002-2007: Research Scientist, AIST, Japan
2007-2010: Senior Research Scientist, AIST, Japan
2010-2018: Associate Professor, IIT Madras, India
2012-2018: ICTP Regular Associate, Italy
2017-present: Specially Appointed Associate Professor, IIR,Tokyo Tech
2018-present: Professor, IIT Madras, India
Field of Specialization
Computational studies on protein structure and function Computer aided drug design
Biointerfaces Unit（IIR, Tokyo Tech）
IIT Madras, India （India）
Research Hub Group：Information and Artificial Intelligence Research International Hub Group
- Proposed the concept of long=range order for relating protein folding rates
- Developed databases and computational tools to understand mutational effects on protein stability, protein folding rates and protein aggregation
- Revealed the mechanism for protein-DNA recognition through direct and indirect readouts and protein complexes using energy based approach
- Related structural features of proteins to identify disease causing mutations and identifying inhibitors to address specific diseases such as cancer, dengue and Parkinson disease
2002: Oxford University Press Bioinformatics prize
2005: Okawa Science Foundation Research Award
2012: Indo-Australia Senior Scientist S&T Visiting Fellowship, INSA
2013: ICMR International Fellowship for Senior Biomedical Scientists
2014: Incentive award for best publications, Department of Biotechnology, India
2015: Outstanding performance award, Tokyo Institute of Technology
2015: Member, National Academy of Sciences, India
2016: Institute Research and Development Award at mid-career level, IIT Madras
- Michael Gromiha*, K. Yugandhar, and S. Jemimah (2017) Protein-protein interactions: scoring schemes and binding affinity. Current Opinion in Structural Biology, 44, 31-38.
- Sandeep Kumar*, A. Mary Thangakani, R. Nagarajan, Satish K. Singh, D. Velmurugan and Michael Gromiha* (2016) Autoimmune Responses to Soluble Aggregates of Amyloidogenic Proteins Involved in Neurodegenerative Diseases: Overlapping Aggregation Prone and Autoimmunogenic regions. Scientific Reports 6: 22258
- Anoosha, L-T. Huang, R. Sakthivel, D. Karunagaran and M. Michael Gromiha* (2015). Discrimination of Driver and Passenger Mutations in Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor in Cancer. Mutation Res. 780: 24-34
- M. Thangakani, S. Kumar, R. Nagarajan, D. Velmurugan and M. Michael Gromiha (2014) GAP: Towards almost hundred percent prediction for β-strand mediated aggregating peptides with distinct morphologies. Bioinformatics 30, 1983-1990.
- Michael Gromiha*, M.C. Pathak, K. Saraboji, E. Ortlund and E. Gaucher (2013) Hydrophobic environment is a key factor for the stability of thermophilic proteins. PROTEINS: Struct. Funct. Bioinf. 81:715-21.
- Imai, M. Michael Gromiha and P. Horton (2008) Mitochondrial b-barrel proteins: an exclusive club. CELL 135, 1158-1159.
- Michael Gromiha, J.G. Siebers, S. Selvaraj, H. Kono and A. Sarai (2004) Intermolecular and Intramolecular Readout Mechanisms in Protein-DNA Recognition. J. Mol. Biol. 337, 285-294.
- Michael Gromiha* and S. Selvaraj (2004) Inter-residue Interactions in Protein Folding and Stability. Prog. Biophys. Mol. Biol. 86, 235-277.
- Michael Gromiha* and S. Selvaraj (2001). Comparison between Long-range Interactions and Contact Order in Determining the Folding Rate of Two-state Proteins: Application of Long Range Order to Folding Rate Prediction. J. Mol. Biol. 310, 27-32.