1991–2001 Assistant Professor, Osaka University
2001–2007 Associate Professor, Yokohama City University.
2007–2009 Professor Yokohama City University
2009 – Professor, Tokyo Institute of Technology
Field of Specialization
Chromosome dynamics / Homologous recombination / Mating-type switching / molecular biology / molecular genetics
Cell Biology Center（IIR, Tokyo Tech）
Research Hub Group ：Cutting-edge Cell Biology international hub group
- We are studying on molecular mechanism of homologous recombination.
Award for Young Scientist from the Inoue Foundation for Science
Award for Young Scientist from the Genetic Society of Japan
Prizes for Science and Technology (Research Category), The Commendation for Science and Technology by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan
The Kihara Prize from Genetic Society of Japan
- New insights into donor directionality of mating-type switching in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Takahisa Maki, Naoto Ogura, James E Haber, Hiroshi Iwasaki, Genevieve Thon. PLoS Genet. (2018) 14(5):e1007424.
- Establishment of DNA-DNA interactions by the cohesin ring. Yasuto Murayama, Catarina P. Samora, Yumiko Kurokawa, Hiroshi Iwasaki, Frank Uhlmann. Cell (2018) 172: 465-477.
- Holliday-junction resolvases that mediate chloroplast nucleoid segregation. Kobayashi Y, Misumi O, Odahara M, Ishibashi K, Hirono M, Hidaka K, Endo M, Sugiyama H, Iwasaki H, Kuroiwa T, Shikanai T, Nishimura Y. Science (2017) 356(6338), 631-634.
- Multiple regulation of rad51-mediated homologous recombination by fission yeast fbh1. Tsutsui Y, Kurokawa Y, Ito K, Siddique MS, Kawano Y, Yamao F and Iwasaki H. PLoS Genet. (2014) 28. e1004542. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1004542.
- Dual regulation of Dmc1-driven DNA strand exchange by Swi5-Sfr1 activation and Rad22 inhibition. Murayama Y, Kurokawa Y, Tsutsui Y and Iwasaki H. Genes Dev. (2013) 27, 2299-2304.
- Mechanistic insights into the activation of Rad51-mediated strand exchange from the structure of a recombination activator, the Swi5-Sfr1 complex. Kuwabara N, Murayama Y, Hashimoto H, Kokabu Y, Ikeguchi M, Sato M, Mayanagi K, Tsutsui Y, Iwasaki H and Shimizu T. Structure (2012) 20, 440-449.
- The fission yeast meiosis-specific Dmc1 recombinase mediates formation and branch migration of Holliday junctions by preferentially promoting strand-exchange in a direction opposite to that of Rad51. Murayama Y, Tsutsui Y and Iwasaki H. Genes Dev. (2011) 25, 516-527.
- RAD6-RAD18-RAD5 pathway-dependent tolerance to chronic low-dose UV light. Hishida T, Kubota Y, Carr AM, and Iwasaki H. Nature (2009) 457, 612-615.
- Reconstitution of DNA strand exchange mediated by Rhp51 recombinase and two mediators. Kurokawa Y, Murayama Y, Haruta-Takahashi N, Urabe I and Iwasaki H. PLoS Biol (2008) 6: e88.
- Formation and branch migration of Holliday junctions mediated by eukaryotic recombinases. Murayama Y, Kurokawa Y, Mayanagi K and Iwasaki H. Nature (2008) 451, 1018-1021.
- Fission yeast Swi5/Sfr1 and Rhp55/Rhp57 differentially regulate Rhp51-dependent recombination outcomes. Akamatsu Y, Tsutsui Y, Morishita T, Siddique, MDP, Kurokawa, Y. Ikeguchi M, Yamao F, Arcangioli B and Iwasaki H. EMBO J. (2007) 26, 1352-1362.
- The Swi5-Sfr1 complex stimulates Rhp51/Rad51- and Dmc1-mediated DNA strand exchange in vitro. Haruta N, Kurokawa Y, Murayama Y, Akamatsu Y, Unzai S, Tsutsui Y and Iwasaki H. Nature Struct. Mol. Biol. (2006) 13, 823-730.
- Two different Swi5-containing protein complexes are involved in mating-type switching and recombination repair in fission yeast. Akamatsu Y, Dziadkowiec D, Ikeguchi M, Shinagawa H and Iwasaki H. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. (2003) 100, 15770-15775.